Anecdotal reports from friends who use essential oils for their child on the spectrum is what led me to try this on my son who prior to this intervention was nonstop hyper, woke up early in the morning, constantly agitated and had poor concentration.
Exhausted and trying to find whatever I could to make this autism journey less stressful for my family, I had to try it.
Although not a miracle cure, the reduction of behaviors that caused so much exhaustion for me and my husband brought relief. As the aroma of the essential oil filtered the air through a diffuser, it not only brought calm and peace to my son but the entire family.
I am not a medical doctor and I use the oil through diffuser as well as application to the skin with an oil carrier. Certain children have sensitivities so please discuss with your health practitioner/doctor the use of essential oils with your child.
I recently went visited the National Institute of Health (NIH) website to see if a study is being done for the effective use of Essential oil and sure enough, I spotted several studies. Please check out the NIH website and in the search bar type “Essential oil” and “Autism”. You will see a list to chose from.
I am also awaiting for the result of the Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center’s Study. See this YouTube Video below from mom Shannon using essential oils to help her son ease her son’s anxiety:
In the meantime, here’s a list of some of my favorite essential oils I use for my son on a daily basis:
- beneficial for its calming aroma, joint support, and overall usability around the house.
- For children with autism Improved sleep quality
- Emotional Stress buster
- Reduced Anxiety
- Parents, like myself, have reported increase focus while reducing stressful negative emotions.
- Minimizes sensory overload
- Keeps stress levels in check
- This ancient oil has properties: anti-viral, anti-bacteria
- Promotes clarity
- Reduces anxiety
- Anti-viral and anti-inflammatory
Purify from Rocky Mountain Oils
- Purify Essential Oil Blend has a sharp, clean, lemon scent. Ingredients include Lemongrass, Tea Tree, Rosemary, Lavender, Myrtle, and Citronella essential oils.
- “Purify Essential Oil Blend is part of the Rocky Mountain Oils Cleaning collection. Use the oil to clean or freshen the air. A little of the strong fragrance goes a long way. Try diffusing the Purify blend in a kitchen or bathroom to purify the air or use in a DIY cleaner on countertops and sinks. Not only can Purify help repel insects, it also works to clear the scent of smoke and eliminates other noxious odors.”
- I use this daily especially during flu and allergy seasons!
For additional listing of recommended essential oils here’s a list from Autism.Org This list is based on reported benefits made by parents. I can’t wait to try them!
Essential oils (EOs) are a complex mixture of natural, volatile, and aromatic compounds obtained from plant material (flowers, buds, seeds, leaves, twigs, bark, herbs, wood, fruit and roots). From: Reference Module in Life Sciences, 2018
It’s not only important to use essential oil with care but also chose quality. So, pick a company you can trust and determine if they meet your criteria for safety. My criteria included quality, price, and 3rd party testing.
Rocky Mountain Oil’s website includes a section, “Learn”.
This section contains lots of information about their product, guidelines of how to use the products, as well as information about kids safety and testing used for quality. It’s a great resource to have whenever you have questions about a particular oil and how to use it.
Is this a cure to my son’s autism? No. However, it does help to ease and bring comfort to my son and the rest of the family. Autism is exhausting and essential oils have been a great source to help us through this journey. For more information, just click on Rocky Mountain Oils.